Psalm 127:3-5

Behold children are a gift of the LORD,
The fruit of the womb is a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a mighty warrior, so are the children of one's youth.
How blessed are those whose quiver is full of them
."

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Sick baby boy

Our sweet Rivers has been sick the last week or so with a pretty bad case of RSV. It just came out of nowhere. He was feeling well and sleeping great and suddenly he got a stuffy nose and then the next thing you know he is wheezing, couching and has a high fever. Needless to say it has been very scary and very tiring the last week. I'm currently up at 6:00 AM and have been up for the last three hours just watching him and giving him the breathing treatments he now has to have five times a day.

The breathing treatments make him jittery and fussy but he did finally get comfortable and fall asleep about 10 minutes ago. I'm expecting him to sleep for several hours because it is really the first he has slept all night. Unfortunately, my 14 month old will be waking up in about an hour so I guess I should be sleeping but at this very moment I'm not quite to a sleepy point so I thought maybe sitting here in bed on the laptop and blog posting might serve as counting sheep. (I think it's working)

Anyway, this week has been one of the roughest yet as far as sleepless nights, and hard days have been. I'm getting very little sleep at night and the days are hard because Rivers has been very fussy. Here's the thing though, as a mother these sacrifices you make while caring for a sick child never seem too hard. I think it's because this is what mothering is all about. It's about nurturing a little life in good times but especially in bad times.

Right now I'm contemplating another day....another day of laundry, meals, helping a sick baby, playing with my other three who desperately need my attention right now since the baby has been keeping me quite busy.... I'm thinking of all these things I need and have to do and I'm thinking how grateful I am to do them. I currently know several friends who are struggling to have children of their own and I know they would take a million sleepless nights to have a precious baby. So I refuse to complain, I'm experiencing what some might call a tough time but what others would call bliss.... I'm blessed!

No comments: