Psalm 127:3-5

Behold children are a gift of the LORD,
The fruit of the womb is a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a mighty warrior, so are the children of one's youth.
How blessed are those whose quiver is full of them
."

Thursday, April 17, 2008

I met a man at Wal-Mart

Yesterday I went to Wal-Mart to get a few things for our trip this weekend and while I was shopping I had the oil changed on the Tahoe. Anyway, after we were done shopping, Anna, Serene and I went into the little waiting room since it would be a few more minutes before they were finished with the car. There was a nice older men in the waiting room and he inquired about the ages of girls and made some small talk about children. I politely asked about his own children and he told me he had 3 children and 6 grandchildren. As we continued to talk he told me that he has just recently moved back from Hawaii because of health reasons so he could be closer his kids again. So, I commented on how it must have been so nice to live in Hawaii. Then I was shocked by his reply. He went off on a tirade about how it wasn't nice at all and "they really hate the gringos over there you know?" He then made SEVERAL less then politically correct statements about the different ethnic groups represented in Hawaii and told me he was just glad to be back in the USA...

Yes, you heard right... someone forgot to tell this guy that Hawaii is in fact an official state of the United States. BUT, that is really neither here nor there.

I sat looking at this man in AWE. Here is one of the most beautiful places in all the world and he can't see past his own prejudices to the incredible creation around him. Not to mention that I don't ever remember anyone telling me anything negative about the people of Hawaii. I have only heard wonderful things about the hospitality and warmth of the people. PLUS, the last I checked this guy is a regular joe sitting in a oil change waiting room in Wal-Mart. What in the world made this guy think he was so much better or had anything better to offer the world simply because his skin is a lighter (and quite freckly) shade of white.

It made me think of a line from one of my favorite childhood movies Pollyanna. In a very poignant scene in the movie Pollyanna shares with the preacher a quote from a locket her father gave her before he died. It said "when you look for the bad, expecting to find it. you surely shall."

Need I say more... ?

1 comment:

BraggFam said...

Oh I just love it. Maybe if more of us look for the good, who knows it would be crazy but imagine what would happen.