Psalm 127:3-5

Behold children are a gift of the LORD,
The fruit of the womb is a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a mighty warrior, so are the children of one's youth.
How blessed are those whose quiver is full of them
."

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Selfisheness... or not

I once read a quote that said something to the effect of "being a mother is the best cure for selfishness". Well I couldn't agree more and now that I have two children I see even more the reality of that comment. However, I can't think of a better way to learn unselfishness than looking at the eyes of a precious child. Seeing this little person that can't function without your help. Knowing that you are their lifeline. My friend Mary and I were talking recently about how anyone could ever look at their child and not just be totally wiling to do anything for them.

When I look down at my precious newborn daughter and see her eyes light up when she hears my voice, my heart skips a beat... literally. She knows I am her mommy, she knows I will protect her, she knows I will comfort her if she cries, she knows I get up in the middle of the night in a tired stupor to feed her when she is hungry and most of all she knows I love her with every single bit of my heart and soul. I can't help but think if I, being VERY imperfect, would love my child that much... how much more does our perfect God love me as his child. WOW, that is overwhelming and quite comforting!

So being a mom does teach you unselfishness but the only way we know how to be selfless is by the example we see in Gods great and abundant, sacrificial love for us.

Matthew 7:11
"If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"

No comments: