Psalm 127:3-5

Behold children are a gift of the LORD,
The fruit of the womb is a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a mighty warrior, so are the children of one's youth.
How blessed are those whose quiver is full of them
."

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Traveling with little ones

E pJimmy and I both have to admit we were somewhat surprised at how well the children did on our 16 hour road trip. I mean they did really well! If left up to me I think I would have chosen to stay home and have a "staycation" just assuming a long road trip would be a nightmare. However, we purchased the week rental on this home at a charity event silent auction we attend every year and so in my mind I felt like I was "forcing" myself to go. I have found my entire life that if I am nervous about something but kind of excited about it too and want to back out at the last second, that usually means I am on the verge of doing something I will never forget if I just push thru and go and enjoy!

This is one of those times. I think too many people let the logistics of life keep them from things the might otherwise truly enjoy or love doing. Very sad!

I remember when I was in my early 20s a friend and I planned a trip to Europe.... At the last second I panicked and thought I can't go across the world by myself (with just my one friend) and rent a car and drive all over Germany. I almost backed out. I went anyway and had one of the most memorable times of my life. That trip gave me so much confidence and made me realize what a strong young woman I really was deep inside! Sounds cheesy I suppose but it takes all different things to help people grow and stretch .... I needed to get outside my comfort zone a bit. We all do!

The next example that really stands out to me was one VERY rainy January Friday night in 2004. A guy and his wife that I knew from the Chamber (I worked as the Event and Public Relations Coordinator there) had asked me to meet them in Southlake and ride to Dallas to meet some friends for dinner. One of those friends was this guys brother named Jimmy. I had a long day at work and hadn't had time to shower or fix myself up at all... It was raining, my hair was frizzy, I was tired and I just didn't want to go. I however, forced myself to go knowing that the evening might be somewhat enjoyable and a better end to my crappy day.... Turns out I met the love of my life that night!! Glad I went!

So here we are many miles from home staring out at snow peaked mountains, sipping coffee in 50 incredible degrees (compared to the 100 it will be at home today)... And I am so glad we ventured out! It would have seemed easier to stay home but because we gave it a shot we have made some of the most amazing memories yet with our kiddos and we are only on day 2!

I'm glad I met Jimmy that night and he forces me out of my comfort zone a bit. You miss out on so much living over-cautious!!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.9

No comments: